When we created Archetype Web Design, it was based on the premise that we would take existing websites and drive traffic to them. Word of mouth soon got around, and we were approached by several new companies who needed a brand new site designed and built. We quickly realized that we needed to begin offering website design services.
We now have provided website design services for companies across the Unites States and in several foreign countries. Website design has become an important part of our business.
Five Elements of an Effective Website Design
- Easy to Read – The site should have a high contrast between the text and the background color. The chosen font should be a sans-serif font (without feet) so it’s cleaner and easier to read. The site text should be adjustable in size.
- Easy to Navigate – The site should make it clear where they are, where they want to go, and where they have been. There should be Main Navigation links that are in the same spot on every page of the site.
- Easy to Find – Do not make people hunt for information! Think like a visitor and make the critical parts of your site super-easy to find. Using things like navigation drop-down menus can help reduce the number of clicks a visitor needs to take to find what they are looking for.
- Consistent in Layout and Design – Use the same font style, text color, headers, footers, logos, etc on every page. Try to keep the number of unique layout styles small so there is a consistent feel throughout the site. Related items, such as main navigation schemes and secondary navigation schemes, should have a visual connection so they look like a cohesive group rather than unrelated items.
- Quick to Download – Optimize images for the web. If using thumbnails, use to separate images. Don’t have 1 large image and have the browser resize it for the thumbnail for the visitor.
Other Website Design Considerations
- Cross-Browser Compatibility — Your website needs to look good regardless which browser they are using. Some common browsers are Internet Explorer 6, 7, & 8, Mozilla Firefox, Safari (common on Macs) and Opera. There are others as well. We have dealt with and know how to address cross-browser compatibility.
- HTML Compliant Code — Don’t run into indexing problems because of poor HTML coding. We make sure that our clients have websites with HTML compliant code.
- The Use of Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) — Cascading Style Sheets have wonderful benefits, including better appearance, cleaner code, faster page loading, and easier site maintenance.
- Reliable Website Hosting — Good website hosting is essential for website success. We will ensure that your website hosting solution is appropriate for your current and future needs.
- Effective e-Commerce Store — An effective e-Commerce store is the key to good conversion rates and sales. We will find an e-Commerce solution that maximizes your profits.
Why Choose Archetype Web Design for Your Website Design Needs?
We are a Utah website design firm that helps our clients have attractive sites as well as increase their sales and improve their company’s profits. For more information, contact us today!
Feel free to check out some of the sites we have designed by browsing our client list.